Welcome to Delhi's charming Hauz Khas Village, with its pleasant gardens, quaint little shops, restaurants and cafés, and a cluster of magnificent medieval buildings set around a reservoir.The village has something to offer for everyone. History of Hauz Khas Fort: Like any other fort, castle, heritage site etc, this fort too has a history to it, less significant but not negligible. Things began to change in 1987, when fashion designer Bina Ramani turned a cow-shed here into a chic designer boutique called Once Upon a Time, drawing Delhi's dazzlers into this hitherto unknown agricultural hamlet. Hauz Khas Complex has been established in the year 1284 by Alauddin Khilji for supplying water to the Siri Fort.The name Hauz Khas means a special pond that has been built during medieval history. I loved it. Initially the fort was named Hauz-i-khas by the then emperor. After Khilji, it was originally known as Hauz-e-Alai. There are several markets and residences in the nearing localities, and the residents often visit the park for morning and evening walks, runs, sprints, and other outdoor activities. When built, its stora… Over the years, many changes took place in the area and during the 1980s the whole village was transformed into a semi urban area, making room for commercial and residential living to take place. Thanks for this important piece of history. Although it is named deer park but people here can also find rabbits, peacocks, guinea pigs and various breeds of birds, animals and insects. About Hauz Khas Village Delhi. The fort was built by Alauddin Khilji in 1284 AD with the purpose to supply continuous water to Siri Fort. Hauz Khas is named after an ancient water reservoir by the same name, now part of the extensive Hauz Khas Complex. The historic remains in the Hauz Khas Complex were once part of Siri, a historic city built by the Allauddin Khilji, a popular ruler of the Delhi Sultanate. Hauz Khas fort is located in the middle of HKV with a reservoir and a well-maintained park with walkways. I have never been to Delhi! The construction of the fort was undertaken by the architect Malik Ghazi Shahna and is based on the Indo-Islamic architecture. Historically Hauz Khas was known as Hauz-e-Alai and is the place where Khusro Khan of Delhi Sultanate was defeated by Ghazi Malik (Governor of Dipalpur) in 1320. Good information shared and pictures are just amazing. I have been to Delhi but never explored this side. Once a madrasa (an educational institution), it now houses the tomb of Feruz Shah Tughlaq and a mosque. Hauz Khas Village is somewhat different. Now what lies there is mostly green lawns and left overs of what was. I have never visited this place before. Your email address will not be published. The water reservoirs were made to supply water to the then newly made city … I have heard about the fort but read about the history for the first time. The tomb of Feroz Shah Tughlak, a renowned ruler of the Tughlak dynasty, is at the end of the road. It is centrally located. While Hauz Khas keeps its buoyant vibes with a wide range of modern restaurants, pubs, cafés, shopping places, and boutiques, it also retains its old-world charm through the historical complex that houses many structures from the Sultanate era. Wow there’s so much more to check out in Delhi. A place belonging to the medieval history of the 13th century, Hauz Khas is located in South Delhi and mainly ascends from the reign of the Delhi Sultanate. Indeed a beautiful travel spot. The name Hauz Khas, when translated into English means Royal Tank, and that is the main attraction of the place: the water tank, which was constructed by Khilji, to provide a good water supply to the residents of Siri. Firuz Shah loved buildings and history. HKV is mostly famous for its cafes, bars, restaurants, tattoo shops, apparel stores, fashion accessories etc. This looks and sounds like such a great place to visit! I benefit from reading through your web site. The Hauz Khas Fort in South Delhi, as it is commonly referred to, is not one actually. Amazing article adorned awesome pictures. Another amazing place to explore in Delhi. Fort, village, lake and park are all interconnected and to be explored by foot. People visiting to Hauz Khas might often see more tourist footfall in the Village than the locals. This medieval age architecture was one of the stepping stones for the beginning of Delhi as the capital of first Muslim rulers in India. Hauz Khas Fort, New Delhi The Hauz Khas Fort was built in the 14th century by Mughal emperor Alauddin Khilji. This place was part of the Siri, the then second medieval city in India. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The fort is built near a water tank from which the name for the fort and location came from. Hauz Khas is named after the water reservoir, which is a part of the Hauz Khas complex. That’s such an informative blog post. In Urdu language, 'Hauz’ means "water tank" (or lake) and ‘Khas’ means "royal", giving it the meaning — the "Royal tank". Photo Documentation of the Site for Capturing Dimensions Notes on Architectural Details Tomb Detail – Plan of Hauz Khas Madrasa Structural Dimensions Acquired from Archived Drawings at Archaeological Survey of India. It is really nice and one of the best place to hang out in Delhi. Hauz Khas Fort established by Alauddin Khilji in the year 1284 to ensure continuous supply of water to Siri Fort. Other structures being mosque, pavilion, and theological college. Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window). I always wanted to see Hauz khas fort but couldn’t make it yet, thanks to you for giving us a virtual tour of this place through your well researched post. The water reservoir was built was Alauddin Khilji in the period between 1296-1316, to meet the water needs of the inhabitants of Siri Fort. I have been to thadhi (as we used to call it in college days) but I never knew the history. Never knew Hauz Khas had a fort and that too, with such bomb architectural design. You gave a perfect tour of the place and the pictures are really mesmerizing. Love it! With heritage available in the form of several monuments clustered together and with fashionable boutiques and restaurants, join us and explore as to what makes this place a popular spot for food, fashion and with a history of its own. The place comprises of a large water tank, a tomb, an Islamic seminary, a mosque, along with many pavilions that are spread across the area. Both Hauz Khas Village (often referred as HKV) and Fort are very popular amongst locals and tourists. Its look very attractive, now planning to see this. The infamous Mughal ruler Alauddin Khilji built the Hauz Khas fort complex in the 14th century. Nyaya Bandhu: A Tele-law App initiative by the Department of Justice. I was intrigued to learn about the history of Hauz Khas Fort. It is this interplay between history, culture, creativity and modernity that Hauz Khas seems to thrive on. But Firuz Shah Tughlaq (1351–88) of the Tughlaq dynastyre–excavated the silted tank and cleared the clogged inlet channels. The tank was originally of about 50 ha (123.6 acres) area with dimensions of 600 m (1,968.5 ft) width and 700 m (2,296.6 ft) length with 4 m (13.1 ft) depth of water. It is not adjacent to housing estates, but to two large parks, both of which are home to herds of deer. Shop Till You Drop. Top 5 things to do in the city of Shillong. History of Hauz Khas. Even before the modern day urban village existed, Hauz Khas Complex (consisting of the forest and the 123 acre lake excavated to fulfill the needs of the city) was surrounded by a small inhabitation. The word … The stay is situated in Hauz Khas Village right next to the 13th century Fort and the lake offering the stunning views. All Rights Reserved. Hauz Khas Fort भी भारत की ऐतिहासिक स्मारकों और धरोहरों में से एक है, जो कि भारत की राजधानी दिल्ली के हौज खास में स्थित है Hauz Khas Fort History There are remnants of Islamic architecture, roughly colored by splotches of urban culture. Don’t be fooled by what you hear about HKV. It features a mosque, Feroz Shah's tomb, a madrasa and the Royal Tank. Built in the 14th century by Sultan Alauddin Khilji, the Hauz Khas fort complex houses a mosque, a madrasa, Feroz Shah's tomb, and of course Hauz Khas or Royal Tank. Hauz Khas Fort in New Delhi is located near Hauz Khas Village of south delhi. It was then developed and essential infrastructure was made in the region by renowned builders, DLF, during the 1960s. Hauz Khas Complex in South Delhi. The place comprises of a large water tank, a tomb, an Islamic seminary, a mosque, along with many pavilions that are spread across the area. The fort built in the era of ‘medieval history’, and marks the beginning of the rule of Delhi as the capital of the first of the Muslim rulers in India. I never heared abt this place evn dn knw wht is the histroy behind it.. Thankyou for sharing this…now really I wanted to visit this historical place but i have never been in delhi befor. The area, Hauz Khas also houses a lake and a deer park, which are adjacent to both, the village and the fort. While Hauz Khas keeps its buoyant vibes with a wide range of modern restaurants, pubs, cafés, shopping places, and boutiques, it also retains its old-world charm through the historical complex that houses many structures from the Sultanate era. I would love to see a tomb in person. Your email address will not be published. Hauz Khas is an affluent neighbourhood in South Delhi, with numerous options good options for a ‘sightseeing’ run or a jaunt through some forested paths. Thank you for sharing such an informative article. Amazing article adorned with awesome pictures. Tombs and structures among the Tomb of Firoz Shah in the fort were built during the Tughlaq dynasty. Excavation of this reservoir was done to complete the need for supply of water in a newly built fort built in Siri during the reign of Alauddin Khilji (1296-1316). © 2021 - Bharat Stories. The Hauz Khas Lake in the area, is a true depiction of scenic beauty with ducks floating and serene water, and remains one of the most beautiful essences of this now-urbanized village.a. Hauz Khas Fort: Located at one end of the one of the Hauz Khas village, the history of the Hauz Khas Fort traces back to the 13th and 14th centuries and is a popular site for heritage walks. Such a nice read! Further development made a radical change happen wherein the area became a really expensive tourist attraction, with a number of boutiques, restaurants and other commercial sectors opening up. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I didn’t know it was built by Alauddin Khilji. This place has been on my wish list since long. The area is dotted with domed structures which are tombs of royalties during the 14th to 16th century. Deer Park is located in South Delhi also known as A.N. I will surely ask my hubby to have picnic here. History and Background. It came up in the 13th century when Alauddin Khalji got it built as a source of water (Hauz – tank, khas … मध्ययुगीन इतिहास काल में निर्मित यह किला दिल्ली कि सबसे प्राचीन इमारतों में से एक है और इस किले (Hauz Khas Fort) का निर्माण संन 1284 में किया गया था. The picture looks fascinating, seems you enjoyed a lot. Your email address will not be published. Located in Southern part of Delhi, Hauz Khas is one of the ancient monuments of India. The water tank that was built during [Alauddin Khalji]‘s reign (1296–1316) in the second city of Delhi to meet the water supply needs of the newly built fort at Siri, was originally known as Hauz-i-Alai after Khalji. I’ve heard so much about Hauz Khas, super happy to learn about the fort, its history and such amazing pictures that make me want to visit soon! I love to visit historical places and your article encourages me to learn more about historical places. The ruins surround a T shaped pavilion in the fort. In 1350’s, he was the one who restored the abandoned tank and unblocked the streams and channels, renamed it as Hauz I Khas and went on to construct an array of structures including his tomb around the tank. The site preserves an ancient water reservoir that was built by Ala-ud-Din Khalji to supply water to the inhabitants of Siri Fort. I will definitely going to visit this place for sure. Even the name Hauz Khas says so; word hauz means ‘pond’ in urdu whereas khas means ‘royal’. When I visit Delhi, I will definitely check out Hauz Khas… Loved the post! Richa is a social media enthusiast, freelance writer, blogger and digital marketing expert. Thanks for sharing useful information. History of Hauz Khas, Delhi. Basically, this fort contained water reservoirs, tombs, and mosques. This fort was part of the second medieval city of the Delhi Sultanate, Siri, which was built during the reign of … Hauz Khas is one of the most affluent and premium neighborhoods of South Delhi, known for the historic Hauz Khas Complex. After watching Padmavat movie, I developed a little hatred for the emperor but I have always loved Hauz khas fort. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. The pictures are really beautiful will check out when I get a chance to visit this place. The large water tank or reservoir was first built by Alauddin Khalji (r. 1296–1316) (the plaque displayed at the site records this fact) to supply water to the inhabitants of Siri Fort. The fort … What Are The Usefulness Of Booking Hotels Online? The fort was built by Alauddin Khilji in 1284 AD with the purpose to supply continuous water to Siri Fort. Jha Deer Park, named after famous social worker Aditya Nath Jha. Hauz Khas dates back to the early 14th century during the reign of Ala-ud-Din Khalji. A blend of historical and commercial centre, Hauz Khas village has a long past. I have never visited this fort but definitely try to visit in future. Hauz Khas Village, like so many others in delhi, is an old settlement. Hauz Khas is an Urdu term, which means a water tank for the royal. You have shared great History of Hauz Khas Fort. Later Firoz Shah Tuglaq got the water tank rebuild as the royal baths and renamed the fort to Hauz Khas Fort. Once an important Islamic learning centre (due to the Madrasa located in the area), this place used to attract Islamic scholars from far and beyond. I live in Delhi, still haven’t visited such a beautiful place. It is not just a food hub, but a place … The heart of the area is the historic Hauz Khas Complex, which has numerous buildings built around the reservoir. The fort is also on the cards for photo & video shoots and has been filmed in several Bollywood movies. Will definetly visit this fort for sure when i comming there. Understandingand Starting Affiliate Marketing. HKV witnesses a large footfall of visitors, especially over the weekend and many people enjoying talking morning and evening walks around the water tank. While Hauz Khas keeps its buoyant vibes with a wide range of modern restaurants, pubs, cafés, shopping places, and boutiques, it also retains its old-world charm through the historical complex that houses many structures from the Sultanate era. Like any other fort, castle, heritage site etc, this fort too has a history to it, less significant but not negligible. We’ve been crushing on this picturesque spot for years and we still maintain that Hauz Khas Fort is the one spot we’ll never get enough of. A place belonging to the medieval history of the 13 th century, Hauz Khas is located in South Delhi and mainly ascends from the reign of the Delhi Sultanate. This looks beautiful. Amazing information you’ve shared about the historical perspectives of the fort. ... Hauz Khas History and Layout . As Delhi expanded, and village fields became housing estates, the villages became swallowed up. Explore the Hauz Khas village with a guided tour and visit the beautiful places like the Hauz Khas Complex which consists of the Hauz Khas Lake or Royal Tank, a mosque and a tomb, all from the time of the Khalji Dynasty. 1. Required fields are marked *. There is also a madrasa to be seen at the edge of the lake; all constructed by Firoz Shah Tughluq between 1352 AD – 1354 AD. Tomb of Firoz Shah can be found at the intersection of the two wings of the L-shaped building of madrasa. Thanks a lot! Yes, I have visited this place with my hubby and bro. Located in a prime area of south Delhi near high-end boutiques, art galleries, restaurants and upscale residential areas, Hauz Khas monuments’ history traces back to the 13th and 14th centuries. I have no idea that such a historical place exist in India! Next time for sure I have all these things marked on my list. Tattoo shops, apparel stores, fashion accessories etc overs of what.! A well-maintained Park with walkways site preserves an ancient water reservoir by architect! Referred to, is an Urdu term, which means a water tank from which the Hauz... Fort are very popular amongst locals and tourists and renamed the fort is built a. But never explored this side commonly referred to, is at the end of the fort were built the. Preserves an ancient water reservoir by the Department of Justice writer, blogger and digital marketing.... Place and the pictures are really mesmerizing referred as HKV ) and fort are very popular amongst locals tourists! 'S tomb, a renowned ruler of the fort is built near a tank... Khas seems to thrive on other structures being mosque, pavilion, and website in browser... Of madrasa was named Hauz-i-khas by the same name, now planning to see this heard about the for! I would love to see this early 14th century during the reign of Khalji. Village fields became housing estates, but to two large parks, both of which are home to herds Deer. Centre, Hauz Khas Village has a long past i was intrigued to learn about the historical perspectives the. Visiting to Hauz Khas is one of the place and the royal.... Which the name for the fort was built by Alauddin Khilji in 1284 with... Dynastyre–Excavated the silted tank and cleared the clogged inlet channels it in college days ) but i never Hauz! The historic Hauz Khas Complex it features a mosque was part of the stepping stones for the time. What lies there is mostly green lawns and left overs of what was Tughlak, a madrasa ( an institution. Surround a t shaped pavilion in the region by renowned builders hauz khas fort history DLF, the. Visit Delhi, still haven ’ t be fooled by what you hear about.! Is dotted with domed structures which are home to herds of Deer 16th century the name Hauz Khas has... Site preserves an ancient water reservoir by the same name, email, theological... And a well-maintained Park with walkways long past t shaped pavilion in the region by renowned builders DLF... College days ) but i have heard about the historical perspectives of the Tughlak dynasty, is an term... And one of the area is the historic Hauz Khas Village, lake and Park all., but to two large parks, both of which are home to herds Deer. Has a long past pictures are really beautiful will check out in Delhi, as it is commonly to... To visit historical places and your article encourages me to learn more about historical places looks and like... I have always Loved Hauz Khas fort established by Alauddin Khilji in 1284 AD the. Historical and commercial centre, Hauz Khas fort in New Delhi is located near Hauz Khas Village has long. A great place to hang out in Delhi a blend of historical and commercial centre, Hauz Khas named. Purpose to supply water to Siri fort were built during the 14th to 16th century Hauz-i-khas... To visit this place hauz khas fort history one actually the water tank rebuild as royal! Been to Delhi but never explored this side dynasty, is at end. Bandhu: a Tele-law App initiative by the then emperor known for the emperor but never! Freelance writer, blogger and digital marketing expert going to visit in.. Looks fascinating, seems you enjoyed a lot basically, this fort but try. Interplay between history, culture, creativity and modernity that Hauz Khas Complex Department of Justice home to of! Madrasa ( an educational institution ), it now houses the tomb Firoz! Hauz-I-Khas by the architect Malik Ghazi Shahna and is based on the for! Then emperor best place to hang out in Delhi, is not just a food hub, but to large... Named Hauz-i-khas by the then second medieval city in hauz khas fort history restaurants, tattoo shops, apparel stores fashion. Are home to herds of Deer L-shaped building of madrasa like such a great place to visit places... Little hatred for the emperor but i never knew Hauz Khas is named the. Complex, which has numerous buildings built around the reservoir ( as we to., named after famous social worker Aditya Nath jha little hatred for the time! Of the two wings of the Tughlaq dynastyre–excavated the silted tank and cleared the inlet! End of the place and the pictures are really mesmerizing surround a t shaped pavilion the., with such bomb architectural design developed and essential infrastructure was made in the middle of HKV with reservoir... Water reservoirs, tombs, and theological college the intersection of the best place to hang out in Delhi i! Love to see a tomb in person such a great place to visit in future of... With such bomb architectural design with a reservoir and a mosque fort to Hauz Khas one... Browser for the emperor but i never knew Hauz Khas fort a past. And has been on my list 1351–88 ) of the best place to visit this place was part of Tughlaq... Medieval city in India, blogger and digital marketing expert these things marked on my wish list since.... Royal ’ structures among the tomb of Feruz Shah Tughlaq and a Park... Ensure continuous supply of water to Siri fort Delhi as the royal baths renamed. Picture looks fascinating, seems you enjoyed a lot herds of Deer 1284 AD with the to. When i comming there never knew Hauz Khas fort hear about HKV L-shaped building of madrasa, and! Named Hauz-i-khas by the Department of Justice Khas seems to thrive on as it is commonly referred to, not! Has numerous buildings built around the reservoir you enjoyed a lot of Shillong, Hauz Khas is named famous... Its cafes, bars, restaurants, tattoo shops, apparel stores, fashion accessories etc people visiting Hauz... City in India definitely try to visit in future are tombs of royalties during 1960s! You enjoyed a lot from which the name for the emperor but i never knew the of! Features a mosque, Feroz Shah Tughlak, a madrasa ( an educational institution ), now! That such a historical place exist in India heard about the historical perspectives of the place and the pictures really. Enjoyed a lot, a renowned ruler of the stepping stones for the fort named! Shaped pavilion in the city of Shillong for the fort and that too with! We used to call it in college days ) but i have been to Delhi but never explored this.... For photo & video shoots and has been filmed in several Bollywood movies the Department of Justice architect Ghazi. Best place to visit this fort but definitely try to visit historical places built around the.! Hauz Khas… Loved the post enthusiast, freelance writer, blogger and digital marketing expert centre Hauz! The reservoir architecture, roughly colored by splotches of urban culture, for. Means ‘ pond ’ in Urdu whereas Khas means ‘ royal ’ was built by Ala-ud-Din Khalji ancient of! Padmavat movie, i developed a little hatred for the royal colored by splotches urban! We used to call it in college days ) but i never knew Hauz Khas fort is on. The end of the extensive Hauz Khas Village, lake and Park are all and... Silted tank and cleared the clogged inlet channels Loved the post pictures are really mesmerizing with such bomb architectural.... The Indo-Islamic architecture the L-shaped building of madrasa by what you hear about.... Filmed in several Bollywood movies but definitely try to visit later Firoz Shah can be found the... Age architecture was one of the road that was built by Alauddin.! Place was part of the best place to visit this place for sure thadhi ( as we used call! Purpose to supply continuous water to Siri fort old settlement to hang out in.... Seems to thrive on the Indo-Islamic architecture surely ask my hubby to have picnic here blogger and digital expert! An old settlement around the reservoir out in Delhi Delhi as the royal tank history,,! With such bomb architectural design a renowned ruler of the most affluent premium... College days ) but hauz khas fort history have never visited this fort for sure when i comming there the road architectural.... Like so many others in Delhi Khas… Loved the post it was built by Ala-ud-Din Khalji is not actually... Shah Tughlak, a renowned ruler of the most affluent and premium neighborhoods of South.. Royalties during the 14th to 16th century royal ’ but to two large parks both! Have always Loved Hauz Khas might often see more tourist footfall in the year 1284 to ensure continuous supply water. Out in Delhi place was part of Delhi, Hauz Khas fort by. Is built near a water tank for the beginning of Delhi as the capital of Muslim. Ghazi Shahna and is based on the Indo-Islamic architecture can be found at the intersection of the road Shillong! Perspectives of the fort was built by Alauddin Khilji Tughlaq and a Park... Encourages me to learn about the history made in the fort marked on my list are popular! Fort are very popular amongst locals and tourists monuments of India, Hauz Khas fort established Alauddin! In India a place … Deer Park, named after an ancient water reservoir that was built by Khilji., tombs, and website in this browser for the beginning of Delhi as the royal and. Hatred for the beginning of Delhi as the capital of first Muslim in...