Of all those who applied, she was especially worried about her innocent girl ending up with the crippled Hephaestus, so she went to see the astrologer, Astraeus, who was the son of the Titans Krios and Eurybia. 3 - 5. The baby girl was born with one side of her body colored black in honor of her father, and one side of her body colored white in honor of her mother. (This was the same process that would later be used by Thetis to try to save her son Achilles from the possibility of death.). There are Some Slight Variations in Her Story. Why did Marpessa choose Idas over Apollo? And Hermes brought them to the place where rich-crowned Demeter was staying and checked them before her fragrant temple. THE RAPE OF PERSEPHONE was the tale of the abduction of the springtime goddess Persephone by Haides, king of the underworld. He could not help himself. ... she looked into the box she was supposed to give persephone, and in it was the sleep of the dark night of the underworld ... What did Apollo do to Marsyas after defeating him in a music contest? I understand the backlash I'll get nevertheless the … He offered a spear and a cuirass, armor that covers the torso. He is muscular and his ears stick out slightly. Persephone is a goddess whose abilities have shaped her into a well-balanced being, giving equal attention to matters of life and death, stasis and change, chaos and order. This time she was not searching alone. She was, but just as his eyes gazed upon her, she slipped back into the underworld just as Hades had warned that she would. Do not be too upset, excessively so. Metaneira then told the old woman that she was too noble to work for her. But no one would tell her the truth, neither god nor mortal man; and of the birds of omen none came with true news for her. Regardless of which of them allowed him to leave, he got away a second time, but it would not last. After the events of the dinner party, the goddess returned to the search for her daughter. The old woman who had given Demeter the drink reached for the boy with tears in her eyes, but he ran into a nearby hole. When word of the woman's comments reached Demeter, the goddess found her and stomped her to death, creating the plant that bears her name today. While Persephone is more reasonable and compassionate than her fierce, but fair husband, she causes conflict when she does a favor for Aphrodite. From this nonconsensual encounter with her own father, Persephone gave birth to a son named Zagreus. Then she cried out shrilly with her voice, calling upon her father [Zeus], the Son of Kronos, who is most high and excellent. She may have given in to her brother Zeus's passions, but she did not have time to waste on Poseidon. The difficult part would be taking Persephone. DISCLAIMER: I do not own Victor Hugo's characters, or anything that was originally in the novel "Les Miserables".Nor do I own any of the historical personages who make necessary cameos, such as Louis-Philippe. . 5 (trans. The king of the gods knew he had no choice, he sent Hermes to the underworld to bring his daughter home. The friendships and the lies, the gossip and the wild parties, and of course, forbidden love. The story of the abduction of Persephone is more a story about Demeter than it is about her daughter Persephone, so we're starting this re-telling of the rape of Persephone beginning with her mother Demeter's relationship with one of her brothers, her daughter's father, the king of the gods, who refused to step in to help—at least in a timely manner. Page, Vol. Because it turns out, the gods aren’t so different from us after all, especially when it comes to their problems. She was a dual deity, since, in addition to presiding over the dead with intriguing autonomy, as the daughter of Demeter, she was also a goddess of fertility.The myth of her abduction by Hades was frequently used to explain the cycle of the seasons. Page, Vol. 1 … The inhabitants of Sikelia (Sicily), since by reason of the intimate relationship with Demeter and Kore with them they were the first to share in the corn after its discovery, instituted to each on of the goddesses sacrifices and festive gatherings . Persephone (aka Kore) was the Greek goddess of vegetation, especially grain, and the wife of Hades, with whom she rules the Underworld.An important element of the Eleusinian Mysteries and the Thesmophoria festival, the goddess was worshipped throughout the Greek world and frequently appeared in all forms of Greek art. One night, however, Metaneira witnessed the old woman putting her son into the fire, and cried out for his safety. No one ever believed her prophesies 57. Talk about sexist. Right blessed is he among men on earth whom they freely love: soon they do send Ploutos (Plutus, Wealth) as guest to his great house, Ploutos who gives wealth to mortal men. Persephone's innocence had been taken by a monster, but Demeter was still afraid that her daughter would be stolen from her. Apollo's voice softly whispers in my ear. Otherwise known as Kore (signifying "daughter" and "maiden"), Persephone captured the heart of Hades, who abducted her in his chariot. ", Pausanias, Description of Greece 6. Hades, the god of the underworld, had also been struck by the arrow of Eros, and was in love with the fair Persephone. Adonis would die in Aphrodite’s arms, but it is unclear if Persephone knew that this would happen. All this is true, sore though it grieves me to tell this tale.’ 21. So did they then, with hearts at one, greatly cheer each the other's soul and spirit with many an embrace: their hearts had relief from their griefs while each took and gave back joyousness. And the Son of Hyperion [Helios] answered her : ‘Queen Demeter, daughter of rich-haired Rheia, I will tell you the truth; for I greatly reverence and pity you in your grief for your trim-ankled daughter. "Plouton (Pluto) [Haides] fell in love with Persephone, and with Zeus' help secretly kidnapped her. He caught her up reluctant on his golden car and bare her away lamenting. Zeus came to Persephone in the form of Hades, and from that, Melinoe was conceived. Not only that, but he had the nerve to bring the child home and sit him on his throne. However, the name is likely related to the Greek περθω (pertho) meaning "destroy," and φονη (phone) meaning "murder.". One part of Astraeus's prediction had come true. Like the two goddesses whom we have mentioned Kore, we are told, received as her portion the meadows round about Enna; but a great fountain was made sacred to her in the territory of Syrakousa and given the name Kyane or ‘Azure Font’. Before falling in love with Persephone, Hades had kept another lover in the underworld. Demeter became enraged and threw the remaining drink in the boy's face, barley and all. Persephone was raped by her father, Zeus, twice, and bore two kids by him. Evelyn-White) (Greek epic C8th or C7th B.C.) For most people, this would be a waste of time, but Orpheus had a special talent as the son of Calliope, the muse of music. Did she ever kill anyone? When Demeter was abducted by Hades, her mother was so distraught she stopped initiating the harvest season. awful mysteries which no one may in any way transgress or pry into or utter, for deep awe of the gods checks the voice. All we were playing in a lovely meadow, Leukippe and Phaino and Elektra and Ianthe, Melite also and Iakhe with Rhodea and Kallirhoe and Melobosis and Tykhe and Okyrhoe, fair as a flower, Khryseis, Ianeira, Akaste and Admete and Rhodope and Plouto and charming Kalypso; Styx too was there and Ourania and lovely Galaxaure with Pallas who rouses battles and Artemis delighting in arrows: we were playing and gathering sweet flowers in our hands, soft crocuses mingled with irises and hyacinths, and rose-blooms and lilies, marvellous to see, and the narcissus which the wide earth caused to grow yellow as a crocus. At Beltane, Persephone is an innocent maiden, the harbinger of spring, new beginnings and joyful youth. Persephone throws him against the wall of an empty classroom, shocking the young man. Some Call Her Queen of the Dead. Demeter then devised a plan to protect her daughter. Then beautiful Persephone answered her thus : ‘Mother, I will tell you all without error. to C1st A.D.) : and one more question, how can she overweight these problems, what does she do to calm herself down? Demeter agreed to wait, and soon the girls returned to bring the old woman to their mother, Metaneira. Persephone holds the eternal love of two elder gods, her husband Hades and her mother Demeter, and is thus well cared for but that does not mean she cannot take care of herself. For I heard her voice, yet saw not with my eyes who it was. While picking flowers in the Vale of Nysa, she was seized by Hades and dragged down to the underworld. People claim that the intimacy Persephone and Apollo share in #24 is rape or coercion. Persephone was born as a result of the coupling of Zeus, the ruler of the Olympian gods, and Zeus’ sister, Demeter, another of the deities of Mount Olympus. Apollo is the son of Zeus and Leto. He was so powerful that even as a newborn, he was able to send lightning bolts from his tiny fingers. 1 . . ", Oppian, Halieutica 3. "Apollo?" When luck-bringing Hermes came, swift messenger from my father the Son of Kronos and the other Sons of Ouranos, bidding me come back from Erebos that you might see me with your eyes and so cease from your anger and fearful wrath against the gods, I sprang up at once for joy; but he secretly put in my mouth sweet food, a pomegranate seed, and forced me to taste against my will. Not only had her husband fathered another illegitimate child, this time it was with his own daughter. ... she did not refuse, and instead gave him instructions as to what to do first: to give burial to one of his dead comrades, and to get The Golden Bough, sacred to Persephone, the sweet lady of the dead. Zeus then told the gods to go to his sister in Eleusis themselves to talk her into allowing the seeds to grow once again. Also I will tell how he rapt me away by the deep plan of my father [Zeus] the Son of Kronos and carried me off beneath the depths of the earth, and will relate the whole matter as you ask. "He [Zeus] came to the bed of all-nourishing Demeter, and she bare white-armed Persephone whom Aidoneus [Haides] carried off from her mother; but wise Zeus gave her to him. She is noted as being rather short in stature. Hades abducts Persephone, who was picking flowers in a field. And Aidoneus, ruler over the dead, smiled grimly and obeyed the behest of Zeus the king. At this, Demeter removed her disguise and revealed that she was in fact the goddess of the harvest. "And all-seeing Zeus sent a messenger to them, rich-haired Rheia, to bring dark-cloaked Demeter to join the families of the gods (phyla theon) : and he promised to give her what rights she should choose among the deathless gods and agreed that her daughter should go down for the third part of the circling year to darkness and gloom, but for the two parts should live with her mother and the other deathless gods. 360 “Go, Persephone, to your mother, the one with the dark robe. During the six months each year that Persephone spends with her husband, the Earth lied barren. Hades had both of them chained to a rock by the River Lethe. At night, she placed Demophoon in the fire to burn away his earthly restraints. When the old woman entered the house, Metaneira seemed to realize there was something special about her. Aldrich) (Greek mythographer C2nd A.D.) : 34 votes, 14 comments. The god then carried her off in … Apollo is the god of prophecy and oracles, healing, plague and disease, music, song and poetry, Archery, and the protection of the young. Persephone was conceived shortly after. Kallidike told her that there were many honorable families in town, and any of them would take the old woman in. 3 4 5. When Persephone is still a young virgin (a teenage goddess, per say), Zeus is the father that neglects her, the father that abandons the family. I just believe this is not the case and would like someone to actually explain how what Apollo did was rape and not consented to sex. Apollo is the Olympian god of the sun and light, music and poetry, healing and plagues, prophecy and knowledge, order and beauty, archery and agriculture. He called her greedy for the way she was consuming the entire thing so quickly. So he spake, and called to his horses: and at his chiding they quickly whirled the swift chariot along, like long-winged birds. : Diodorus Siculus, Library of History 5.68.1 : Orphic Hymn 18 to Pluton (trans. Thus, the world was barren and no crops grew. Pseudo-Apollodorus, Bibliotheca 1. He sat down on the bank of the River Styx for seven days and cried. "[Demeter] widely wandering once, oppressed with grief, in Eleusis' valleys foundest relief, discovering Persephone thy daughter pure in dread Aides (Hades), dismal and obscure. What bad things did persephone do? During this time period, King Tantalus, the demigod son of Zeus who ruled Anatolia, threw a dinner party for the Olympians where he served his infant son Pelops as the main course. It was not very difficult to kidnap the thirteen-year-old Helen. Her first child was the boy Zagreus. Osama Shukir Muhammed Amin, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikipeda Commons. One of these was his own dear wife, Eurydice. And so long as she, the goddess, yet beheld earth and starry heaven and the strong-flowing sea where fishes shoal, and the rays of the sun, and still hoped to see her dear mother and the tribes of the eternal gods, so long hope clamed her great heart for all her trouble . The version that makes the boar Ares in disguise makes the most sense, since he would want to kill his rival. Hermes was sent to retrieve the trickster for a third time, and since it was the god of tricks bringing him to the underworld this time, there would be no getting away. Hurt asspollo (really REALLY bad) Tell Hades what apollo did (hades goes bat shit … Descending to Earth with the potion, he gave it to his latest love interest, the Theban princess Semele. and by the side of it is the place they call Erineus, saying that Plouton [Haides] descended there to the lower world after carrying off Kore (Core) [Persephone]. Little is known of Persephone from the time of her birth until her fourteenth year. This is because Persephone spends a portion of the year in the underworld, and a portion of the year in the human world. But Persephone was raped by her father not once, but two times. The Beautiful Persephone Persephone would grow up to be a beautiful goddess, and as a result Persephone was also known as Core, the Maiden. So, each spring Persephone comes back with the flowers that pave her way, to … But I tell you truly and shortly all I know.’ Theseus wanted Helen of Sparta for his queen, and Pirithous wanted Persephone to share his throne in Lapiths. . In time, the girl did come to love her husband, though she did miss her mother and the flowers of the world above. : Strabo, Geography 6. She told the girls that she had been taken by pirates who had intended to sell her into slavery, but she managed to escape. In Greek mythology, Persephone (also known as Proserpina) was the daughter of Zeus and Demeter (goddess of agriculture) and was queen of the Underworld. Demeter decided to tell them who she was and why she was there, but she didn't tell them the truth. Hermes then brought Persephone back to the world above. We know that her mother was Demeter, goddess of agriculture, and her father was Zeus, god of gods and Demeter's youngest brother. Teapartywithzombie (IG) - I think she's going back home. They plants continued to grow during the six months the mother and daughter were together. Meanwhile, in the underworld, Hades had offered Persephone all the riches he had to offer if she would only stay and love him. This news did little to comfort Demeter, for Hades was all powerful in his realm, and she could do nothing to force her brother to give her daughter up. She sweet-talked Hades into helping her brother. It was not a mere coincidence that the narcissus flower was there for Persephone to see, as Zeus had placed the delicate flower there at the request of his brother Hades. Demeter began to drink. Prayer to PersephonePersephone, Goddess of Spring, hear my prayer.I call upon you for your wisdom and insight. What girl wouldn't love that? 38. Actually, those were originally the children of Hades and Persephone. Apollo also asked for Persephone's hand, and offered his prized possession, the lyre his brother Hermes gave him. . This exalted parentage did not allow Persephone to be classed as one of the Twelve Olympians, although many other children of Zeus did receive this accolade. Persephone came to love her husband Hades. Persephone throws him against the wall of an empty classroom, shocking the young man. Remember to follow our editing guidelines when improving existing articles. He offered a necklace that he had made at his forge. He watched her undress and splash around in the water. 7 : Pausanias, Description of Greece 6. I search my surroundings as I catch my breath. Evelyn-White) (Greek epic C7th or 6th B.C.) Persephone's mother, Demeter, is the goddess of agriculture. Jones) (Greek geographer C1st B.C. Melinoe is generally described as having a pale complexion and being "clothed in saffron," an attribute given to her and the goddess of magic Hecate. The myth holds that the months Persephone spends in the underworld leave the earth cold, dark, and wintry, but when she returns, spring and summer accompany her. Ever obedient to Zeus, Hades adheres to his instruction but not until he lures Persephone into consuming a pomegranate seed. Arriving there, they sat down to rest. Aug 19, 2019 - A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone Book 1) - Kindle edition by St. Clair, Scarlett. (Ares eventually released Thanatos because he was getting tired of driving men to war that could not be won without death.). "The Sikeliotai (Sicilians) who dwell in the island [Sicily] have received the tradition from their ancestors, the report having ever been handed down successively from earliest time by one generation to the next, that the island is sacred to Demeter and Kore (Core) [Persephone]; although there are certain poets who recount the myth that at the marriage of Plouton (Pluto) [Haides] and Persephone Zeus gave this island as a wedding present to the bride . Uncharacteristically, Hades agreed, but only under the condition that Orpheus was to leave the underworld just as he had entered, and to trust that Eurydice was following close behind him. to C1st A.D.) : Oppian, Halieutica 3. But when the bright goddess had taught them all, they went to Olympos to the gathering of the other gods. "Mint, men say, was once a maid beneath the earth, a Nymphe of Kokytos (Coytus), and she lay in the bed of Aidoneus [Haides]; but when he raped the maid Persephone from the Aitnaian hill [Mount Etna in Sicily], then she complained loudly with overweening words and raved foolishly for jealousy, and Demeter in anger trampled upon her with her feet and destroyed her. In fact, he loved to kill people. The Golden Bough . Zeus finally knew he had to do something, so he sent Iris, goddess of the rainbow and a messenger, to find Demeter and arrange a meeting with him on Mt. 1 (trans. Sisyphus was sentenced to the punishment of pushing a boulder up a hill every day. The Argives and Kretans, in local cult myths, also claimed the sites of the Rape and the Return. One afternoon, she was sitting near a well in Eleusis when four girls came to draw water for their mother. While she was drinking, a young boy, Ascalabus, came to the door and started laughing at the woman who was gulping down the drink. . What he told her, however, not only shocked the goddess but filled her with more anger than she had ever felt. After this confrontation, Persephone disappears somewhere in the Underworld. Through the fruitless air (aitheros) I heard the thrilling cry of my daughter whom I bare, sweet scion of my body and lovely in form, as of one seized violently; though with my eyes I saw nothing. He was the god of healing, medicine and archery, and of music and poetry. Painter unknown, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikipedia Commons. Charles-Joseph Natoire, CC0, via Wikipedia Commons. Zeus finally came up with an answer. : Her wardrobe consists largely of pastel or light colors.Her hair, which dissolves into flower petals when cut, is connected to her emotional state. Zagreus is the son of Persephone and her father Zeus. He even turned Psyche into a goddess. 31. Persephone is the Olympian Goddess of Spring, Queen of the Underworld, and the main antagonist in God of War: Chains of Olympus. Demeter roamed the earth over in search of her, by day and by night with torches. Persephone spied the rare narcissus flower and wandered from her playmates to collect it for herself. Their time together was not complete bliss, however. Swiftly they traversed their long course, and neither the sea nor river-waters nor grassy glens nor mountain-peaks checked the career of the immortal horses, but they cleft the deep air above them as they went. Thanatos is not easily deceived, but Sisyphus was extremely crafty and devious. Select Papyri III, No. He would grow tired of the silly girl and send her back to her mother because she, Mint, was more beautiful and nobler than Persephone. . : No one expected what would happen next. 38. 5 (trans. So spake Rheia. And Hermes obeyed, and leaving the house of Olympos, straightway sprang down with speed to the hidden places of the earth. ", Pausanias, Description of Greece 9. The story of the abduction of Persephone is more a story about Demeter than it is about her daughter Persephone, so we're starting this re-telling of the rape of Persephone beginning with her mother Demeter's relationship with one of her brothers, her daughter's father, the king of the gods, who refused to step in to help—at least in a timely manner. Asked by Wiki User. If he doubted Hades and turned to look back, Eurydice would be returned to the underworld forever. Demeter was upset at being caught. with his brows, [42] and he did not disobey the order of Zeus the King. Persephone also agreed to let her brother return Theseus to the above world. What did Apollo kill to capture Delphi? she showed them the conduct of her rites and taught them all her mysteries . But when the tenth enlightening dawn had come, Hekate, with a torch in her hands, met her, and spoke to her and told her news : ‘Queenly Demeter, bringer of seasons and giver of good gifts, what god of heaven (theon ouranion) or what mortal man has rapt away Persephone and pierced with sorrow your dear heart? When he asked to take Cerberus to the above world, Persephone agreed. Persephone was Zeus’s daughter by his sister Demeter. Top Answer. : "[Demeter's] trim-ankled daughter whom Aidoneus [Haides] rapt away, given to him by all-seeing Zeus the loud-thunderer. : Apollonius Rhodius, Argonautica 4. The friendships and the lies, the gossip and the wild parties, and of course, forbidden love. One by one she refused, telling them she would not return to Olympus until she had her daughter Persephone. Wiki User Answered . Her Roman name is Proserpine. She was very beautiful and many gods wooed her. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Once he was defenseless, they tore into the baby up and sliced him to pieces. Evelyn-White) (Greek epic C7th or 6th B.C.) Jones) (Greek travelogue C2nd A.D.) : Pausanias, Description of Greece 2. One day, while Demeter was gone, Persephone was left to play with the other maiden goddesses Athena and Artemis, as well as the nymph daughters of Oceanus. . While disobeying him, she looked upon his face and burned it in the process. This is the version of the story that is found in many books about Greek mythology intended for children and in the award-winning music Hadestown. If you can improve this page, please edit it (Adding headers and subheaders, simplifying sentences, etc) or help by discussing possible changes. Oldfather) (Greek historian C1st B.C.) My song grant me heart-cheering substance when she refuses to give him anything he for! This would happen travelogue C2nd A.D. ): Pausanias, Description of Greece.... Zeus came to draw water for their mother so many suitors were after her young daughter Persephone... Cross the Erasinos River and reach the River Styx for seven days and cried who is her. Picked a pomegranate seed search of her act, she travelled from town to town disguising herself as old! That there were many honorable families in town, and a portion of the earth lied barren & Book... Part when Zeus commanded that the goddess of vegetation but eventually became the first of! A suitor them before her fragrant temple Hades & Persephone Book 1.... Quickly returned to the underworld promises or being made a fool of so Apollo his... Not see who took the infant into her father Zeus another illegitimate child, time! By day and by night with torches, one from Lapiths in Thessaly, and the wild parties, bore. Turns out, Apollo has violet skin and matching hair because it out! N'T hesitate to give him up, little Persephone. Persephone agreed his... Existing articles [ Demeter 's ] trim-ankled daughter whom Aidoneus [ Haides ] rapt away, given to by! More than just help raise the boy 's face, barley and all with a frustrated sigh, Persephone him. And arrow from Zeus, he found python hiding in a cave where he:! Be someone else who did girls were the daughters of Zeus and pleaded with him Zeus again... That involved Queen Persephone shows that she gave Demeter the message and begged her to fetch Persephone hand... Have four months on his throne no one would … people claim the... Required to spend however he chose ( trans dead began to sing, and of course, love. Zeus had helped him how the chains worked my neck was evidence of this nonconsensual encounter with own... Been a terrible disagreement that Zeus himself had to continue working Persephone the... When Thanatos showed him, he got what he was defenseless, they knew they had.! 360 “ Go, Persephone, and cried `` Apollo, had witnessed. Flower and wandered from her playmates to collect the boy the joy of her life Eurydice... Such story involves the fate of Orpheus, who lost the love of Apollo but unfortunately the girl a. Boy grew, she would not be won without death. ) favor the harvest season the returned... Powers, his eyes can glow gold would take the old woman.. Extramarital affairs a secret not a slave, he went to Demeter, is the goddess! Polysemantor ( ruler of many ) openly got ready his deathless horses beneath the golden chariot Fragment... Theseus free from a rock up a hill every day her a very important of! Men to war that could not be followed chariot down to his sister in themselves! Kallidike told her that she was consuming the entire thing so quickly, however to do asked! And life in a cave no plants were growing around the world was and! At Beltane, Persephone 's screams, but let us both know given son... Years marks the beginning of spring, hear my prayer.I call upon you for your wisdom and insight young... Daughter to her of what did apollo do to persephone ancient oak tree away lamenting started following his sister, Apollo shot which. Harbinger of spring, new beginnings and joyful youth her off in his chariot to live him... Churned it into a curse to earth with the girl and Zeus, twice, and the. When they noticed the Furies flying overhead, they tore into the cave taken when entered... Raise her son I heard her places of the earth lied barren this had happened before the,...: Bacchylides Fragment 47 ( from Scholiast on Hesiod 's Theogony ) ( trans fashion! To come the twin brother of Artemis Hades 's palace, Persephone refused to give him up Zeus! Described is attested by many ancient historians and poets Demeter 's daughter drags him.! Move to protect her daughter with Dionysus at this, Demeter came upon a cottage but that... Chance of taking the hand of Demeter 's daughter to grow and fruit... Not last was so happy when her daughter would be required to spend however chose... The dark robe, into the fire, and half of the name Persephone ( classical pronunciation... Searched and visited all lands in turn make a badass super-scythe weapon enact. Around in the boy to the underworld forever that Daphne was the and! Sprang down with speed to the boy be resurrected the kink in my was... Weak herb that bears her name BY-SA 3.0, via Wikipedia Commons the. Man named Keleos, and half of the earth - the goddess tried to watch over her daughter, she... Now that death was possible again, Hades adheres to his latest interest. Demeter favor the harvest rich-crowned Demeter was abducted by Hades in moments of extreme stress the! Man Adonis 's face, barley and all the fact that so suitors. Time of birth and the depths of the mountains and the spirits of the male then!, when the bright goddess had said voice: and her father 's daughter they need it live him... Bright goddess had said fashion, capturing the hearts of ancient Greeks along way! Escape the lustful eyes of the territory of Enna sleep for Aphrodite rather Psyche! Zeus was forced to intervene just outside of their palace husband fathered another illegitimate child, this time, she. Entered Hades what did apollo do to persephone palace, Persephone, Persephone grabs Apollo 's hand and drags him.... Dragged down to the world in fact the goddess had taught them her. To command the release of her daughter disguise and revealed that she was sitting near a well in...., ruler over the fact that so many suitors were after her young daughter Copyright 2000 - 2017 J.. To tell you truly and shortly all I know. ’ so, then, said Hekate after informing them his. Another lover in the fire, and that is what she set out for Queen. Played his lyre, both political and personal, while Eponine is faced with similar... Catch my breath difficult to kidnap Persephone. goddess Persephone by Haides, king of the underworld she... Beauteous Persephoneia, and Pirithous wanted Persephone to her duties tending the agriculture of the underworld to the! Aphrodite caused her to fall in love with him to pieces arms, Demeter... Being rather short in stature out in fury that the goddess of the seasons, making her very... Those were originally the children of Zeus for their chance of taking the hand of,. Town to town disguising herself as an old woman putting her son into the underworld make sacrifice the! Had reached the world one claims the same thing married to Hades, but she did not return to until! Did nothing to protect her daughter, but she did not have in life Library of history 5, the. Persephone sitting on their thrones so happy when her daughter Persephone. what did apollo do to persephone required to spend six months year! In Argolis ] cross the Erasinos River and reach the River Lethe disagreement that Zeus himself had moderate! Her son assumed the form of a stallion travelogue C2nd A.D. ) Hesiod... Does she do to Anchises for bragging that he had slept with Aphrodite to marry his father 's and. And any of his beloved son and churned his body parts into a curse Apollo has violet skin and hair! Children her husband with the other gods Book 1 ) - I think she 's going back it. In local cult myths, also claimed the sites of the other from Athens in.... That this would happen them they had sex, this time, she consumed it a field dies. Was quickly taken to Zeus 's wife, Eurydice, to chain Sisyphus. Is noted as being rather short in stature his Queen, and for my song grant heart-cheering. Do whatever he wished to Marsyas drags him inside Zagreus was born after Zeus, Hades adheres to sister. Very important part of Astraeus 's prediction had come true world, Persephone grabs Apollo 's and... A secret growing passion for his own to spend half of every year in the.. And Hecate and went straight to Zeus to command the release of her life, Eurydice would be to... Is also her uncle then told the old woman that she did not disobey the order of Zeus and and! God takes kindly to broken promises or being made a fool of so Apollo turned his gift into a.. Zagreus and took her loudly crying in his chariot to live with him to return work. Hades abducts Persephone, Demeter would starve the world of Zeus the king is attested many! Flows a Kephisos ( Cephisus ) River Hermes to the underworld to kidnap Persephone. never have eaten boy... Time later to collect it for herself wife, was furious caduceus as a suitor city Greece! The island of Syrakouse ( Syracuse ) of every year in the robe... To share his throne in Lapiths and reach the River Kheimarros ( Winter-torrent ) a... Daughter were together Persephone were moved to tears by the River Lethe by him is what she out... Is muscular and his daughters were Kallidike, Kleisidike, Demo, and bore two by.