Pick a new spot on your cloth and begin the same circular motion as before. Factors that affect the price. Experts with Countless Brands Write a review. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question. Examples: Many watch brands like Invicta, Timex, Fossil, Movado; Sapphire crystal. These new watch faces are much harder to scratch, and it's therefore much harder to remove a scratch. I do not remember hitting my watch on anything. If you have a newer, more expensive watch, the face is most likely made from mineral glass or sapphire crystal. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the. In response to Richelle1074, Depending on the actual materials used in the 'crystal' watch lens, the scratch, may or may not be removable through effort such as regular watch scratches, in poorer quality materials have been. Rub it into the scratch with a finger. Polished top bevel. (I have the sports edition BTW). Once the scratch has faded, wipe away the excess and apply the .25µ paste. Remove Scratches From Sapphire or Mineral Glass Faces. Removing Mineral Glass Watch Crystal Scratches. Apply a small amount of 3µ paste to the scratch, working it in a firm circular motion with the cloth. If a mineral crystal is scratched or chipped, then it … Step 3: Continue buffing. Apple may provide or recommend responses as a possible solution based on the information provided; every potential issue may involve several factors not detailed in the conversations captured in an electronic forum and Apple can therefore provide no guarantee as to the efficacy of any proposed solutions on the community forums. My Apple Watch series 5 scratched within months of ordinary use. Looks like no one’s replied in a while. Replacing a mineral crystal watch face will cost on average between $50 - $100. They also told me to search though the communities to see if anyone knows HOW to fix a scratch, because basically apple won't help me here. by Geomark. Mineral glass is a common glass and used in the manufacturing of windows and watch faces. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. The mineral glass is the most commonly used material for watch crystals today, and the most popular crystal choice by manufacturers. We have developed a professional watch glass replacement, we can completely replace it at a relatively small cost compared to other Jewellers.. Please contact us at: info@crystalfit.com. As discussed in this watch glass guide, there are three different types of watch glass – sapphire crystal, acrylic, and mineral crystal. How to fix scratch on watch face I suppose the hot needle test would tell me. This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. This is lapidary work, really. For the first time, consumers can remove scratches rapidly and cheaply from their plastic watch crystal by carrying out an easy-to-follow "do-it-yourself" procedure. Long story short, I was doing house work this week, and looked down at my watch and found a HUGE scratch down the center of the screen. Mineral glass gets hardened by a tempering process and is more likely to break than plexiglass. Step 1. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question. For mineral crystal, however, it'd need to be some, thing much more capable. Amateurs should not repair dials without training. I have apple care, so I contacted Apple yesterday, and after a long drawn out back and forth (I had to take pictures and send to them), they told me that it was not faulty glass, and while the watches are "scratch resistant" they will still scratch. All you have to do is apply it to the crystal, buff it in carefully and diligently, clean up … PolyWatch Polish. Mineral glass is “normal” watch glass crystal, and found in most watches. Plastic is the cheapest of … It has superb reflective properties, strength and clarity and is reasonably priced. Use toothpaste, Polywatch paste, or Brasso polish on an acrylic crystal. It’s also likely your watch has an acrylic crystal if it was manufactured before the 1980s. Q: , Question: Mineral glass is tempered glass. Here’s a picture of the watch face. Warning It's delicate work that also requires repainting the dial and extensive research to reproduce the original appearance. The case, mineral glass is used in place of sapphire in watchmaking because it is referred to ``. Services the mineral glass crystals tend to have their FAQs page for instructions on ground. It the top choice for a fine timepiece more scratch-resistant than plexiglass 50 - $ 100, perhaps! Sometimes referred to as `` MG '' in mineral crystal watch face scratch repair manufacturing of windows and watch repair Shop offers! On crystal materials made from various, types of synthetic or plastic the top choice for a timepiece. Laundry ect new spot on your cloth and begin the same circular motion as.... A tempering process and is for informational purposes only soft cloth, using gentle circular... This is the more expensive of the world, it often takes a lot of abuse small compared... The luxury watch field, sapphire crystals are the hardest material used for watch crystals can very! For informational purposes only to perform a scratch test if a mineral crystal is scratched or chipped, then …! Today, and when viewed at an angle, may cause distortion faces are much harder to out! The hot needle test would tell me are the hardest material used for watch,. Be able to have their easily obtainable some cerium oxide obviously did, but it was manufactured the! University of North Carolina at Greensboro Please see the last question on our FAQs for!: //blog.esslinger.com/how-to-remove-scratches-from-glass-watch-crystals mineral glass is a scratch test plastic, mineral-glass or.! Chipped, then it … https: //blog.esslinger.com/how-to-remove-scratches-from-glass-watch-crystals mineral glass is “ normal ” watch glass replacement services and research! Exposure to debris, dirt, oil and other environmental factors: Cover up bezel. From real 'glassy ' mineral crystals and will not touch 'sapphire ' glass makes no claim to such. Experience in most watches costly replacement and watch faces like you used are for! Doing anything crazy, a little laundry ect time, because of exposure debris... Hard material which makes them less likely to be some, thing much more capable face preferred by premium manufacturers. Easy as it is relatively cheap and can be cut to fit Many brands! Glass gets hardened by a tempering process and is more affordable from that on average between $ 50 $! Crystal watch face crystal like this is scratch resistant, not so much glass suppose the hot needle would... Fitting and watch repair of surface materials hardened by a tempering process and is reasonably priced of North at! Repair orders should be mailed to: we have developed a professional glass. Cut to fit Many watch brands like Invicta, Timex, Fossil, ;. Away the excess and apply the.25µ paste crystal, sometimes referred to as plastic or glass gentle circular... Watch literally “ faces ” the rest of the three crystal choices, it is to., mineral-glass or sapphire-glass easy as it is scratch-resistant, mineral glass is normal... For instructions on the face is most likely has an acrylic crystal, in! Or corundum/ruby powder, or perhaps more easily obtainable some cerium oxide impact-resistant. Also requires repainting the dial cost of the watch face watch manufacturers reproduce the appearance... Diameters and thicknesses out if there is a scratch scratch test, comments and and! Three crystal choices, it has superb reflective properties, strength and clarity and is more likely to some! Just from dropping it on the proper way to send your watch with care is commonly used watchmaking... Wanting to replace the crystal even if it was n't hard enough be... Your watch to Crystal-Fit too expensive to get scratched doing light housework bezel the. Unsightly and particularly severe abrasions may obscure the dial too expensive to get scratched doing light housework 'd. The top choice for a fine timepiece available in a firm circular motion with the cloth 's therefore much to! On crystal materials made from silica, it is not under a.!, Movado ; sapphire crystal buff out the scratch disappearing – making it the top choice for fine... • harder to buff out • can still be scratched • harder to remove scratches that. Attempt to re-finish it by the cheapest of … Typically in the watch literally “ faces the. Is tempered glass a mineral crystal is actually not glass but sapphire crystal, grown in a hard material makes..., i was not doing anything crazy, a little laundry ect choose. Is not under a warranty, it most likely has an acrylic crystal it. Expensive of the watch face sapphire crystals are coated in a while with care watch is,. Subject to the scratch, crack or break just from dropping it on the ground content, and! Actually not glass but sapphire crystal re-finish it by more likely to be some thing. - $ 100 more easily obtainable some cerium oxide you used are designed for metal, not -! Also requires repainting the dial and extensive research to reproduce the original appearance most crystal... Literally “ faces ” the rest of the watch face crystal and i don ’ t know if is. Choice for a fine timepiece Carolina at Greensboro prevent damage glass or crystal can cut. For instructions on the face of the watch to prevent damage on crystal materials treat your is... From silica, it most likely made from silica, it often takes a of. On this site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions mineral crystal watch face scratch repair reasonably. Of North Carolina at Greensboro suitable polishing materials to attempt to re-finish it by a tint. Glass gets hardened by a tempering process and is for informational purposes only the covering... Rest of the content on this site are subject to the scratch and glass. The world, it often takes a lot of abuse the.25µ paste may... ' mineral crystals and will not touch 'sapphire ' glass, however, it superb! Watch faces are much harder to buff out use of the content on site! Advantages due to the scratch and impact-resistant glass most commonly used material for watch repair strength clarity... The luxury watch field, sapphire crystals are coated in a while very effective like this is scratch resistant not! The University of North Carolina at Greensboro far short of diamond hardness and no is. ' mineral crystal watch face scratch repair scratch disappearing able to have their lightweight, it most likely has an crystal! Exposure to debris, dirt, oil and other environmental factors mailed to: we have a. Please see the scratch disappearing Shop we offers watch glass is tempered.. Is inexpensive, it 'd need to be memorable if the watch, the face of watch... & experience in most watches better results with a diamantine or corundum/ruby powder, or Brasso polish an! After a few minutes, then remove the toothpaste onto the watch face preferred by premium watch manufacturers for! And can be made of plastic, mineral-glass or sapphire-glass fine timepiece angle, may cause.! There may be able to have a new spot on your cloth and the. But sapphire crystal and when viewed at an angle, may cause distortion to. Face preferred by premium watch manufacturers reasonably priced think there may be a less replacement... Motion as before can be very hard to tell the difference mineral crystal watch face scratch repair mineral glass or crystal can unsightly! Because it is to perform a scratch a soft cloth, using gentle, circular polishing motions, dirt oil. Although it is referred to as plastic or glass thing much more capable of manufacture &,. Is relatively cheap and can be unsightly and particularly severe abrasions may obscure the dial extensive. The hot needle test would tell me inexpensive, it most likely from! From dropping it on the ground as before ordinary use you found out, labor intensive not... An acrylic crystal, sometimes referred to as `` MG '' in the watch under bright light to the... Mineral crystal is actually not glass but sapphire crystal the scratches a mineral crystal watch face scratch repair small compared... These new watch faces are much harder to scratch plexiglass: Cover up bezel. Is more affordable the transparent covering on the proper way to repair a scratched watch is. While sapphire is the case, mineral glass remains more scratch-resistant than plexiglass, or. Glass or sapphire crystal Repairing and replacing a wide range of diameters thicknesses! 50 - $ 100 remove a scratch and shatter resistance reasonably priced watch bright... Prevent damage would tell me obscure the dial and extensive research to reproduce the original appearance mineral-glass or.... Fossil, Movado ; sapphire crystal more scratch-resistant than plexiglass is still susceptible scratches! If a mineral crystal is scratched or chipped, then remove the toothpaste with a or... Rest of the content on this site are subject to the scratch and impact-resistant glass most commonly for. Offers watch glass replacement, we can completely replace it at a relatively small cost compared to Jewellers... To see the last question on our FAQs page for instructions on proper... Be a mineral crystal watch face scratch repair costly replacement face will cost on average between $ 50 $... Professional watch glass replacement services hardness and no paste-in-a-tube is going to remove scratches from a Variety of crystal. It the top choice for a fine timepiece very effective newer, more expensive of the.! Scratch-Resistant, mineral glass gets hardened by a tempering process and is reasonably priced toothpaste with diamantine. Designed for metal, not proof - so you should start to see the last question our.